Human food to avoid in dogs and cats
Since you love your Lulu so much you may be tempted to show your affection by sharing your meals or snacks with her. You may not be aware but there are a few goodies that a cat or dog should never eat: macadamia nuts, onions and garlic, grapes and raisins, chocolate. Read the whole article for a complete list of food to avoid.
1.Macadamia nut toxicity: Our furry friends love to consume macadamia nuts (both chocolate covered or in cookies) just as quick as we do, but unfortunately for animals like Lulu, these nuts are toxic. Signs of toxicity may include paresis, depression, vomiting, ataxia, tremors, hyperthermia, abdominal pain, lameness, and/or stiffness.
2.Raisin/Grape toxicity: dogs or cats can develop acute renal failure after ingestion of a significant quantity of grapes (more then 10-12 grapes in a 8 kg dog) or raisins ( more than 3g/kg). Signs of toxicity may include:vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, diarrhea, decreased urine output, signs of abdominal pain, ataxia, and weakness.
3.Chocolate contains methylxanthines (theobromine and caffeine) plus sugars and fat. While dogs may get only an upset stomach from ingestion of sugar and fat. The darker the chocolate the higher metylxanthine content. methylxanthines toxicity can cause arrhythmias and even death if ingested in large quantities.
4.Xylitol is used as a sweetener in gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. Many "sugar-free" products contain xylitol.
It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and ataxia but can progress to seizures. Liver failure can be seen within a few days in some patients.
5.Avocados contain Persin which can cause gastro-intestinal upset and vomiting. The large pits may cause intestinal obstruction if ingested whole.
6.Alcohol ingestion can cause vomiting, lethargy, ataxia, weakness and even coma.
7.Garlic, Onions, Chives
Pet food and treats can contain these vegetables and herbs, however in small amounts will likely not cause any problems.
Cats are more sensitive than dogs and can develop damage to red blood cells ( Heinz body anemia) and gastro-intestinal irritation.
Number 8 is a bonus. And a surprise : Milk. Dogs and cats can't digest dairy products well. "But my grandma's cat drank milk all the time and she was all right". Well, I wouldn't be so sure that her cat felt quite happy after her meal. Most likely your granny didn't have a litter box in her house so who knew that the cat had diarrhea outside?
Consult with us if your pet ingested any of these products. We will be able to tell you if you need to bring Lulu in for care or not. Do not hesitate to call. Better be safe than sorry!
Are poinsettias toxic to animals?
In Canada close to 2 million poinsettia plants are being sold before
Their toxicity has been greatly exaggerated. The most common signs of poinsettia exposure reported to ASPCA resulted in mainly gastro-intestinal signs: vomiting, anorexia and depression. Usually these signs are self limiting and don't require therapy .
Read more below about other holiday plants:
Rosslyn Veterinary Clinic 2016. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©